COCONUT GARLIC RICE
This rice has the added texture and flavor of fried garlic to give it a tasty crunch. If you have a rice cooker, feel free to use that. You can cook the rice the day before and sauté with the garlic to reheat before serving. If you prefer brown Jasmine rice, you will have to adjust your ingredients, upping the water to 1.5 cups, and the garlic to 8 cloves. Brown rice has a stronger flavor and so adjust up the salt levels (to taste) as well.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40–45 minutes (includes 10–15 minutes of resting)
4 quart oven-proof saucepan with lid
Medium sauté pan (for garlic)
Fine meshed spider
Paper towels over a sheet pan or large plate
TIPS/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Start with room temperature oil and add garlic, then turn the heat to medium until the garlic browns. Remove garlic from pan with wire mesh spider and remove pan from heat, as you will be using this oil to sauté the rice
- Only sauté rice for a minute or two to begin it’s cooking process, take care not to brown
- Because rice has been rinsed, be careful when adding it to the pan, as the wet rice may cause the oil to splatter slightly
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups Jasmine rice, rinsed
- A few good pinches of salt
- 14–16 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup neutral high temperature oil, such as corn, soybean, peanut or sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In medium sauté pan, add oil and garlic and turn heat to medium low.
- Stir gently while garlic browns, 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat if browning too quickly. Use spider to skim the garlic from the oil and spread onto paper towels. Remove pan from heat and set to the side.
- In 4-qt saucepan, heat a few tablespoons of the garlic infused oil over medium heat, add rinsed rice and coat evenly. Sauté for 2–3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water, and a bit of salt (you can always add more salt later).
- Bring rice mixture to a boil, remove from heat, add lid and place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes (don’t remove lid),.
- Remove lid, stir in garlic, adjust salt, and serve immediately.