MOMBACHO CAFÉ BLACK BEANS
Makes: 5 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1–1.5 hours
6 Quart saucepan or medium stock pot
TIPS/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- The recipe calls for vegetable oil — but feel free to use bacon fat or lard, (Mombacho Cafe Cooking Base has bacon in it); any oil or fat will work here
- Homemade or store bought chicken stock is fine; It’s good to start with unsalted or lightly salted stocks so you can control the salt content yourself
- To rinse the beans, cover in water first, the “bad” beans will rise to the top for discarding; pour through a colander over the sink to drain
- There is no need to soak black beans overnight unlike other beans
- Cooking your beans in salted water does not keep your beans from getting tender contrary to what we were all taught, but acid does. I like to season the cooking liquid slightly and then add a touch of vinegar and salt at the end of cooking to balance flavors.
- Pack your kale down into the measuring cups to make sure you have enough
- Increasing the heat at the end to cook off extra liquid will make a nice, creamy sauce
- Salty cheese goes best with this dish, but feel free to use what you have on hand
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (your choice)
- 1 Cup Mombacho Café Cooking Base
- 1 Quart chicken stock
- 2 Cups black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 Orange, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Mombacho Café Spice Blend
- 2 Cups kale, rough chopped and packed down
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Grated cheese for garnish: Cotija, Parmesan or Queso Fresco
- Heat oil in a pot to moderate heat.
- Add Mombacho Café Cooking Base and sauté for 5 min until simmering.
- Stir in Mombacho Café Spice Blend.
- Add drained beans, chicken stock, orange slices and a couple pinches of salt.
- Bring to a boil and turn down heat to medium or medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour until beans are tender
- Add kale and increase heat to high to reduce liquid until the beans have a creamy consistency — about 5–10 minutes.
- Add sherry vinegar and season with salt, to taste.
- Garnish with cheese to serve.