1 3–4 lb chicken
2 quarts of fryer oil, ex. Peanut oil
1 cup of buttermilk
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1.5 cups of flour
.5 cups of cornstarch
3 Tbsp of California Love All Purpose Chile Blend
1–2 tsp of Kosher salt
1. Break down the chicken into legs, thighs, breasts into 2 pieces and wings.
2. Mix brine ingredients and add chicken to coat. Keep in zip lock bag overnight to brine.
3. When you are ready to cook: Preheat oven to 350f and prepare a baking sheet with a wire rack. ( This is to hold the chicken after it comes out of the fryer) And heat oil in a dutch oven to 325f. Make sure to use a pot big enough that the oil doesn’t come up higher than halfway.
4. Sift and mix all of the ingredients in the dredge and combine thoroughly.
5. Remove the chicken pieces from the brine and let the excess buttermilk drip off before adding to the dredge. Coat the chicken with a thick layer of the dredge and then shake off any excess. Repeat this for all of the chicken.
6. Add the chicken in batches to the oil being careful not to overcrowd. ( you don’t want the chicken touching, you can cook in batches) You do not want to move the pieces for the first 3 minutes or so or the coating may fall off.
7. Cook for 7–12 minutes or until 160f. Check internal temperate with a thermometer.
8. Remove chicken to the baking sheet and keep in oven until all of the chicken is finished.